Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Twist Hat Preview Knit

Twist Hat 

 I love doing test knits for two reasons - first I get to help the designer check the pattern and give some feedback that is actually listened to. The second reason is I get to try new techniques from a pattern that I may not have been able to purchase. If I buy a pattern, I want to use it over a few times to make it worth spending the money on. On some of the test patterns, I may only want to make it once or just learn the awesome technique. 

This hat falls into the first category. I love testing for this designer. She's great!!! The pattern pictured above is called Twist Hat and is by Verily Knits. Although designed to use 2 solid colors, I decided to try something way out of my comfort zone and use a variegated yarn with a solid. Well, it's turning out a a bit unusual and I'm not sure if I like it. It's bright and cheery but busy. The good thing about doing this with a test is that those that may want to try a variegated can see what it may look like finished and then decide if they want to put the time into it or not.

Not all designers allow you to stray from their norm. Some want the item done in the same yarn as they used, others want specific colors or fibers. Then there are others that you need approval from. This test is actually called a "Preview Knit" which allows you to knit using whatever yarn you want and even make some modifications to the pattern. The pattern itself has already been tech edited and tested, so no worries about catching problems or mistakes. I love the freedom that comes with this type of test.

I'm using Knit Picks Memories in the colorway Easter and Schachenmayr Regia for Hand-dye 4-fadig/4-ply in the colorway 1992.


No comments: