Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Garden Planning Starts Now

 

Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels

This morning at 7am, our thermometer read -7F. Although it wreaks havoc with the old body and arthritis, I know it is only temporary and will soon be a forgotten as warmer weather approaches. It is days like these that we sit here and dream of the warmer weather to come as we plan out our gardens. 

Our seeds were all ordered last month and they have arrived, were sorted and categorized. My husband is in charge of the vegetable garden, while I do the herbs and flowers. Hubby is very excited this year as he works on his spreadsheet and plans. He tried using an app to diagram the garden, but decided it wasn't to his liking. On to find another he likes better and does what he wants. Me, I'm a simple kind of gal that puts pen to paper and write notes and sketch it all out. As you may have guessed, hubby is in IT and me, well, you already know I love arts and crafts. Funny how it shows in our methods of planning.

The other evening, I pulled out my old notebook to see if I could find some notes on a project I did years ago. Those notes weren't there, but I did find gardening notes from 2003-2005! It was interesting going back and reading them. That was another life at another house a growing zone from where we are now! One thing I'm quite sure about is, if I had written the notes using a computer, I probably wouldn't have them now. There is something to be said about doing it all the old fashioned way.

This year, I will be journaling my herbs. I bought a leather covered journal that has an old look to it. I guess you could say it looks like many of the journals that are used for the "Book of Shadows". The one I purchased has white pages, although I did want yellowed and deckled pages that had the aged look. I just wasn't sure how "aged" they were. I want something I can sketch and write on without the pages being too dark and interfering with being able to see the drawing clearly. I have enough inks, etc, that I can age my own and not worry about the pages being too dark. 

I am taking a couple of herb courses so the herb journaling is important. Actually, it's important even if I wasn't taking the courses! Learning about each herb is necessary, especially when you are growing and using them.

Last but not least, a little educational video to get the gardening mojo going...

No comments: