Our daughter lives on the west coast, so we only get to see her about once every two years. Yes, we talk online and the phone, but it's just not the same as in person. She's not fond of the area here - the lack of "real mountains", the humidity, etc. When she comes back, she usually has a list of things she wants to do while she is here. This time, she wanted to go to Pittsburgh to spend the day with an old friend. Pittsburgh was the halfway point for both of them.
I am far from a city person, and honestly, places like that put me in panic mode. The brain shuts down and I don't do well there at all. Thank heavens the husband doesn't react like I do. He doesn't like the city either, but at least can drive in it, but not liking it one bit. We dropped her off at her off at the cafe where she me her friend, and off we went - as quickly as possible, out of that rat race!
While she was enjoying the city life, we took a nice drive down the Ohio River and then to a place in West Virginia to have a nice meal. It was called Quinet's Restaurant in New Martinsville. It was a lovely place to eat and reminded me so much of the one restaurant from my childhood. It was comfortable, cozy, friendly, and at no time were we rushed to leave. We had a nice leisurely dinner of really good food, very kind waitresses and we were so intrigued by all the photos, awards and other personal items that were throughout the restaurant. It was a huge history of so many people and lives. I just wish I knew the story behind each and every photo! The next time we go to WV, this is a definite must to go back to!
![]() |
| The Prison |
![]() |
| The Mound is quite impressive! |
![]() |
| What a nice museum |
We traveled the Ohio side of the river on the way down and came back up the WV side on the way back up to Pittsburgh. On the way back, we stopped at Moundsville to visit the museum and see the mound. Across the road was the WV Prison that gives access to the public. Unfortunately, it did not appear to be open so next time well make sure to go when it's open!
![]() |
| Wheeling Suspension Bridge |
![]() |
| Look at how many barges that tug is pushing! |
![]() |
| The mighty tug! |
Next stop was Wheeling where we went to view the historic Wheeling Suspension Bridge. The structure is massive and impressive to view. Unfortunately, for me, I'm terrified of heights and tried to walk to bridge, but since it had a grid that one could see the water movement through, I couldn't walk it. Try as I might, I couldn't do it. LOL Hubby, on the other hand, loved the bridge! While visiting, we saw a nice line of barges with a tug pushing them. What an awesome sight!
![]() |
| Centre Market |
From there, we went to the Centre Market in Wheeling. This is definite must stop at if you are ever in the area. There are 2 central buildings - one behind the other, plus shops on the both sides of the streets from them. We didn't have a lot of time left, but did enjoy what we had seen. This is another place we must stop at again. We even found cheese that we couldn't get here and made sure to bring it home with us! My mac & cheese will thank me for it!!!
We had only explored a mere fraction of what WV has to offer. I do love this state!







No comments:
Post a Comment