I use my crock pot for a lot of the roasts, although I've tried oven roasting - but one really needs to keep the temperature low and cook it for hours. Probably why I do it in the crock pot. I tried it for 8 hours, but found that 10 hours is better on some cuts. I also cook with veggies - especially tomatoes. They act as a natural tenderizer.
Hubby prefers to use the smoker and has great luck with that method. The cuts always come out nice and tender. And one always loves great smoked beef.
I love to collect cookbooks - especially those put out by the Farm Journal from back in the 1950's to the 1970's. I've had to repair them over the years, because the bindings didn't hold, but the information inside is like gold to me. "The Thrifty Cook" was my go to. My aunt was cleaning out her cookbooks and gave me that as well as a couple other Farm Journal cookbooks. That was the beginning of my obsession with them and it hasn't changed. I love those books! So much so, that I have been picking them up recently to try to finish my collection.
![]() |
| Nice additions! |
I was browsing eBay the other day and came across a set of 3. I had one, but it was a mass market paperback which is OK but the hardbound was a larger print and a larger book which means I'll be replacing the paperback with a nicer edition. The other 2 are new to me. This was a really nice find! I cooked my first recipe out of them called "Mixy Burger" which was pretty much a sloppy joe type meal. The buns were toasted, served open faced and were to be eaten with a fork. It was actually quite good, and hubby said he'd definitely want me to serve it again. This was an inexpensive meal - especially on homemade buns and a side of home grown veggies. The most expensive part was the meat, which was one pound of burger and it made 8-10 servings.


No comments:
Post a Comment