I couldn't believe it when I received a message on Tuesday that our local greenhouse got me some seed potatoes to try and plant for a fall harvest. I honestly thought that I would have to wait until next year. I called the greenhouse right away and they said there was a box of potatoes waiting for me. On Wednesday afternoon, hubby had to go out and get a few things and stopped by the greenhouse to pick them up. He texted me and said the box was $10. I was ecstatic and was expecting a small box to experiment with - maybe 40 or so in the box. That would be a great number to try out and not a huge loss if I didn't have success.
When he arrived home, I was on the phone with my daughter so never saw the box. When I got off the phone with her, hubby said they were out in the garage. I was planning on planting them in the morning, but had to go out and take a peek at my treasured seeds. The box was by no means small and the amount of seed potatoes stunned me! It was about the size of 2 cases of 15oz size cans of tomatoes! WOW! Now, I know that all will not take - but good golly miss molly, I never expected near the amount I received!
I went out Thursday morning and got some in - probably close to half, but the air quality (this is before I knew it was a problem) had me back inside before I could get them all in. Then it got so bad (in the 300's) that I haven't been out to plant the rest. I still can't get into the garden today because of all the rain we had yesterday, but at least the air quality is decent and we can now open our windows. Tomorrow is another day.
The basil is looking healthy and should be pushing out the first true leaves soon. Then on to be transplanted. I ended up with more plants than planned - 11 total! I had no idea I had dropped that many seeds in the pot. Oh, the joy of small seeds LOL That's OK though, because my son wants a couple.

No comments:
Post a Comment