Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Buy Nothing Group on Facebook

When Yahoo Groups change, my FreeCycle List vanished. They went to another platform and changed their name and the group pretty much is dead now. I started searching for another place that I could post my items and have them go to someone that would want them as well as use them. I have donated to the Good Will in the past, but when I went to take things in, I had to drive by their overflowing dumpsters of things I was shocked to see tossed. Things were not staying out of the landfill as I had hoped.

I came across a group called Buy Nothing on Facebook. Each area has their own list and I joined my area with my fingers crossed. As you can tell by the name, everything that is posted is given away to keep out of the landfill -  very much like FreeCycle. The list is awesome and active! I've been able to post a lot of things I no longer need and know that they will be going to some place wanted.

Today, I was looking to see what was posted when a post for a set of very colorful Farberware Knives with covers. I've been wanting a set of these for quite a while, but hubby said it's not worth wasting money on something that's probably junk. So, when I saw these, I asked for them, and I was lucky enough to get them! Now, I have to impatiently wait for hubby to get home, as he's picking them up on his way home from work.

I can't tell you how excited I am to finally get to try these knives, but it's even better to have gotten them for free - just the cost of pick-up, and since they are on hubby's way home, there's really no extra cost there either. I love the spirit of the group - things stay out of the landfill and someone re-homes the unwanted item, giving it a second life. So many things are tossed when there's so much life left in them. This method stretches every member's paycheck just a little more. With the cost of everything going up, this group certainly helps!


No comments: