Pages

Friday, September 11, 2026

How I Beat Grocery Costs

 


Grocery prices seem to get higher every time I walk into the grocery store. What makes it even more difficult is buying for special diet needs for my husband that is medically necessary and not by choice. No noodles, rice, beans or potatoes that could nicely stretch the grocery bill, but a protein rich diet with quite a bit of meat. It makes things a little more interesting when it comes to stretching that paycheck! 

I went to the store yesterday after doing a few errands. It is quite disheartening seeing the cost of meat, especially when I can remember it so much cheaper - and not that long ago! It's hard seeing burger at the cost of what I used to pay for certain cuts of steak when it was on sale! It certainly makes for challenging shopping these days!

I hit the sales and got 3 different types of sausage, chicken, and even some prepared meatballs (never had them before, but they were 60% off on last day date on package). Even on sale, I spent $39 on meat alone. Then, because we are in a state that regulates prices on fluid dairy and select dairy items, milk ran $5.08 (just for the store brand), a block of cheese for $10 and a couple other items - all on sale, and and necessary, and I've spent $74!!! 

I never buy anything that is not on sale or unnecessary. No chips, soda or anything sweet anymore. The budget won't allow it. That's ok, as we don't need that stuff. Shoot - the only reason I got the meatballs was because a pound cost less than half the price of burger! 

I'm always watching adds for sales. I get a part of a cow from a local farmer and supplement veggies from our garden and try to have a decent amount put away for winter. That's not going to happen this year. Between the wildlife and weather, etc., there's not much to put up. It's really disheartening - especially with prices where they are. But we will make it through and hopefully next year will be a more productive season. 

This all keeps life interesting!

No comments: