Pages

Friday, June 14, 2024

Diamond Painting Crafts

 

I needed to order a case to hold my essential oils and after looking all over, I found a cheap case on Temu. I needed a couple more dollars added to my order to have it shipped, so I picked up some very inexpensive diamond painting kits to brighten up the house. I've never done shapes or anything like these before and with the price point, I thought, "Why not?!" 

The kit came with a plastic sign, more than enough drills and gems and a hanger. It finished up quickly and was ready to hang in no time! I couldn't decide how I wanted to seal this, as there were the large gems and the plastic sign itself, so I opted for a glossy spray on sealant. Big mistake! The large gems lost their sparkle and look very matted. Oh well. I'll know better for next time!

Another diamond painting type craft I purchased was a set of 10 patriotic star coasters that came complete with a holder. The stars are wooden but don't have any cork backing. I'm not going to complain, because these were also very inexpensive. I'll just add my own cork backing. I will need to cut the cork in the shape of the stars, but that won't be a problem. 

I really wondered about sealing these guys. I purchased a gloss waterproof sealant made especially for diamond painting and did the bottom star (red center) with that. It turned out ok and still sparkles but the sealant looks a little weird between the drills. I used Mod Podge Dishwasher safe gloss, and honestly, it looks about the same, but felt sticky for a few days and takes a month to cure. The other 2 starts have not been sealed yet. I won't know how I like the sealers until I used the coasters to see if they become cloudy or get "weird". At the price I paid for these, I figured they would be the perfect projects to experiment with sealers on.

No comments: