Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

I Can't Wait!

My son gave me some of his college books on WWII and said he thought I'd find them really interesting. It started with "Maus" and then "Maus II". Both books are a definite must read! The have left a lasting impression on me. I then read "Night" and have "The Good Old Days" as well as "The Butcher's Tale" to still read. WWII has always interested me, as my father served proudly served our country during World War II with General Patton's Third Army, 10th Armored "Tiger" Division and 21st Tank Battalion. He participated in the Rhineland, Ardennes and Central European campaigns and saw action at the Battle of the Bulge. Unfortunately, he never spoke of this until just before he died, and many times he was difficult to understand. So now, when I see footage taken at any of these places or find something written about them, I pour over the footage and photos to see if I might see my father in any of them. I know it's probably silly, but there's always that chance.

I came across a find the other day and decided to order 2 books. They are both reproductions of instruction leaflets that were given out during the war and center around how to live with War Rations. The one is a cookbook entitled: "Eating for Victory: Healthy Home Front Cooking on War Rations" and the other is the companion book in the series called "Make Do and Mend: Keeping Family and Home Afloat on War Rations". Both of them are hard cover books that I ordered from the original country of origin: England. I found them online at Abe Books and they cost me less, even with postage, than I could purchase them here in the States! I think it's cool that they are coming from the place that the leaflets were originally published. So many times, reproductions are done elsewhere.

I think these will not only be informative, but could be very useful. It would be nice to have more ideas for using items out of the garden as well as cutting back on meats, etc. I have read that England encouraged healthy living at that and those recipes were part of it. Both books cost $11 including shipping and tax. Now, the hard part will be waiting for them to arrive!

Are they here yet?

How about now?.....

It's going to be a long wait!

No comments: