Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Re-purpose Furniture

We didn't officially move into our new home until the kids were on winter break from the university. It seemed like the most logical decision because of the travel involved, plus it was exciting coming here all at the same time as a family. The kids love our new home, even though it is small. They say they love the cozy feeling plus the area is amazing - an added bonus!

One of my largest issues at this time is the downsizing we need to do. Storage space is almost non-existent, so I'm at that point of deciding what really is important and what can I live without. Not only that, but most of our furniture won't work here, so we are slowly acquiring "new" furniture.

One of the items we won't be using is our old waterbed - sorely outdated and one of the few things I was glad to get rid of. Instead of tossing it all, hubby repurposed it into a nice new bed for us!

Waterbed frame cut, resized and legs added.

Next came the support posts.

Then a nice stable surface to put our new Memory Foam type mattress on - But only after we covered the plywood with something that would protect the mattress.

The finished product.
We still need to add a headboard. I want to make an upholstered headboard (like this one), but am waiting until I find the perfect fabric. I'm thinking of a red and white print or something with red in it.

I have many projects ahead of me - refinishing, repurposing, and making new. I plan to furnish our home as cheaply, yet beautifully as possible! I would love to hear what you have done for your home.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Love how you reused something you already had...looks great!

Lisa Lynn said...

Great idea for re purposing! I found you on the Barn Hop and I would love to have you join the fun on my Creative HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

Hope to see you there!

tweezle said...

Thank you, Nancy!!!

tweezle said...

Thanks for the invite, Lisa Lynn - I'm on my way over now :)