Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Out of Hibernation





Since we don't have a farm, there's not much going on here during the winter time. I usually "hibernate" and enjoy some time off to do some counted cross stitch (purely a selfish thing) and catch up on some reading. Things slow way down here after Christmas, and I so love MY time off. It's like a renewal period for me.

I spent the end of December deciding on things I'd like to try and/or learn. I also make a list of goals and things that I'd like to start and/or finish. This is also the time we all go over our lists from last year and figure out what we finished. It's a positive time, noting all that we did accomplish, and not the things we didn't.

This year may be a time for change. DH is currently looking for a new job, and he is searching out of the area - actually out of the state. All the states he is looking at are quite far from our families, so we'll be going it all alone. That's a bit scary, but at the same time, exciting. It feels like we will truly be homesteading if we relocate to one of these places.

I've been doing a few projects to use up scrap yarns and materials. Currently, I'm working on a granny square afghan, a knitted Log Cabin Afghan a scrap quilt, and a yo-yo quilt. Nothing is nearing the finish line, but the Log Cabin Afghan has been my largest focus. It's been really fun working on, although it's far from gorgeous. I have a bunch of acrylic yarns (like Red Heart brand) in a bag, then I put my hand in randomly and pull out a skein to knit with. I never know what colors will go with what. Here's the start of it:


I'm not using any pattern, but came up with my own formula after looking at a few online tutorials and other's photos. Yes, it's very colorful. I guess it will end up being a lot like Joseph's Coat of Many Colors :)

I've also been making some new dishcloths. I've made some for Valentine's Day, test knitted some for a designer, and tried my hand at illusion knitting. The illusion knitting is really cool, and DD wants me to knit her a scarf using this technique.

March is almost here, and it brings garden plans - which I'm not sure what to do there right now with DH wanting to relocate. At this point, I'm going to proceed as normal, since he hasn't found a job he wants yet. Many things are up in the air at this point, and a feeling of restlessness has hit me.

To counteract the restlessness, I've decided to try my hand at a few new things. This year will consist of trying my hand at cheese making and soap making. Two things that will be useful wherever we go, and certainly help with the budget. I'm really looking forward to trying them!

It's so good to be back blogging again. :)

1 comment:

jayedee said...

YAY! it's SOOOOO GOOD to see you posting again!